Friday, June 25, 2010

Modern Medicine??

So the good news is I don’t have Malaria, the bad news is that I had to experience the not so modern ways of the Bagamoyo hospital to find that out. Before I continue, let me first say THERE IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT DAD!

So earlier this week, I started feeling not so hot. Well correction, I started feeling very hot. In the states, this would just be shrugged off as the possible cold or flu but here, the minute anyone gets the slightest fever its off to get tested for malaria. Now having toured the hospital during orientation, I was already not thrilled about this trip. But following the orders of the resident medic, Gerry, I along with Project and two staff members went merry along. The process will never be recreated with words but heres my best shot. After arriving, I am seated in the waiting area, a concrete slab, while B in broken English and Kiswahili checks me in. Really all she does is pay 1000 shillings (about 70 cents) and tell them my birthday. We then are given a very official, can you sense the sarcasm?, record with the date stamped on it. We walk into an open air waiting room where are now in line for the doctor. I say “in line” however it seems to be whoever rushes to the door first sees the doctor. After waiting for what we think should be our turn, and noticing that wet mops are hanging to dry on a power line, we jump to the door. As we enter the room, we see the doctor sitting at a table. I describe my symptoms and she orders a malaria test. No, duh right?!! We head to the “laboratory” where, and I kid you not, I am poked with a tiny razor to draw blood. While waiting for the test results, we are told that we must pay 500 shillings (35 cents) before we get the results. We oblige and come back to find out that I in fact do not have malaria. Wahoo! but wait….we now must go back to the doctor and let her tell me that too. So now apply that same waiting process to this part of the story. So all in all good news no malaria, bad news I had to get pricked by a razor blade to find that out. Up side to the whole story: While waiting I saw a sign for other services at the hospital and among of these were skin graphing for 10000 shillings (about 7 dollars) and removal of ovarian cysts for an additional 10000 shillings. Now really, you can’t beat that!!

In case that story wasn’t enough to satisfy your third world needs, here’s some more pics!







5 comments:

  1. I am hurting EVERYWHERE!!! Thank you for the pics of cute kids and beautiful sisters at the beach....without them, I would be ooogy all over for your hospital experience. I am still ooogy all over, but the pics make it better. I love the baby MoMo is holding. Bring him home for us to love on too!! Call us sometime sasters!! In case you forgot your favorite nephew's number: 214-295-2982 oh and I posted new pics....he laughs out loud and is losing his hair...only on the left side. It looks silly, but he is still cute. Love you!! E, and A, and A

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW - We have been working on the backyard and it is starting to look very similar to what your pictures are like...soft beaches and beautiful skies. Amazing what a little hard work can do......and a lot of dreaming!

    Taking Mom to the airport this am to leave for Minn. She of course is asking herself, "Why am I doing this". But alas, Eileen and her are just meant to have this time together....oldest and youngest. Hope you are feeling better today Monica. Love you boht.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monica, Glad to hear the you don't have malaria. I do love the pictures. Those babies are beautful and you and B are just glowing. So proud of you both for your since of adventure.

    Love you both,
    --Aunt Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are a scream. Hey - did any one notice the bulls on the beach. Wonder how Califoria would like bulls on the beach. Planning to send your hospital experience to the White House. I think Barry would prefer that type of healthcare. Better yet, sell the story to the AP. The kids don't look so 3rd world - they are adorable and I am so jealous! All that unconditional LOVE just breaks my heart. Love you Both! Wish I was there to work with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys look like you have really been taken by Africa! Love it! Keep it up. Miss you, bridge!

    ReplyDelete